Department of Addictology, First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University in Prague and General Faculty Hospital in Prague
The Department of Addictology is a scientific and clinical workplace of the First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University in Prague and General Faculty Hospital in Prague. It was established on January 1st 2012, combining the Centre for Addictology of the Psychiatric Clinic, First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University in Prague and General Faculty Hospital in Prague and Unit for Addiction Treatment of the General Faculty Hospital in Prague. The department represents a unique merger of two separate workplaces that involve both clinical and paramedical professions that are involved in the recently established field of addictology.
The Department of Addictology is focused on inpatient clinical treatment and on teaching and research in addictology, a distinct field of transdisciplinary scientific inquiry into the risk environment of substance use and addictive behaviours. The main activities of the clinic are split into the following four areas.
Clinical treatment involves 7 wards of the Unit for Addiction Treatment of the General Faculty Hospital in Prague:
- Inpatient ward (men)
- Inpatient ward (women)
- Detoxification unit
- Methadone maintenance unit
- Outpatient ward for alcohol addiction
- Outpatient ward for non-alcohol addiction
- Centre for psychotherapy and family therapy
Undergraduate teaching programmes (full- and part-time):
- Undergraduate bachelor's study programme in addictology
- Undergraduate maste's study programme in addictology
- Teaching for students of general medicine and dentistry, and in psychiatry
Research and postgraduate teaching in addictology, including international cooperation in this area. Research activities are split into three separate centres:
- Centre for Primary Prevention of Substance Use
- Centre for Diagnostics, Therapy and Rehabilitation from Addictive Disorders
- Centre for the Study of Law Enforcement, Criminological Perspectives and Harm Reduction in Substance Use
Life-long learning in the field of addictology:
- Life-long learning of addictologists (classes accredited by the Czech Association of Addictologists)
- Life-long learning of other para-medical professions (classes accredited by the Czech Association of Nurses, Ministry of Health, et al.)
- Education of school prevention methodologists
The Department of Addictology consists of a multidisciplinary team of experts from the fields of addictology, psychology, psychiatry, law, epidemiology, sociology, social work, criminology, and special pedagogy, each with diverse experience in the drug field, including clinical work, research on the domestic and international level, developmental projects and university-level education.